This Page

has been moved to new address

beautiful blog award and freebies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower: beautiful blog award and freebies

19 September 2010

beautiful blog award and freebies



The lovely Kayla of Ramblings of a Small Town Girl was so sweet to pass the Beautiful Blog award on to me! Thanks again, Kayla! I'm supposed to list seven facts about me and pass the award on to a few other people. You might remember the last time I listed seven facts about myself and how...well, how boring it was. These seven facts are a little more about things I like, because I could go on about that list forever...

001. I have very diverse music taste. My last.fm shows everything from British pop (Little Boots, Elle Goulding, Kylie Minogue) to indie folk (A Weather, The Swell Season, Bon Iver) to swing and standards (Michael Buble, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra). I also like classical crossover (Il Divo, Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli) and classical (mostly just Bach at the moment).

002. I don't know how to sew. When I was little I made a teddy bear for my Sunday school class, which we donated to a children's hospital. That's the only time I've ever sewn anything, ever. I used to crochet, and I'd love to get back into that. I came across a sweet little television program this morning and it's really inspired me. (I'd also love to learn to knit, but it looks so very difficult!)

003. I love libraries and bookstores, anywhere I can be surrounded by books. People talk about the way books make them feel infinite; I'm one of those people. I could talk for ages about books, my favorite stories and characters and the way they all make me feel. (Don't worry, we'll save that for another entry.)

004. I love collecting quotations! I'd love to have a notebook where I keep them all in one place, but most of the time when I buy a notebook I'm too afraid to write in it because I don't want it to become "used" and thereby irrelevant. Hopefully I'm not the only person in the world who's quite that silly. Anyway, a few of my favorites:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charlie Chaplin
"Only the gentle are ever really strong." - James Dean
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
"Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

005. When I was eight years old I was introduced to one of Claude Monet's many infamous Water Lilies paintings and decided I loved Impressionism. I still remember seeing the painting in a shop window at that age and telling my mom quite adamantly who the artist was. I've been passionate about the movement ever since.

006. I love a good old-fashioned mystery. I used to be obsessed with Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels, and of course the Murder on the Orient Express film with one of the most amazing casts ever. I love the British mystery series Inspector Lewis, too. The stories that aren't about scaring you, but just about solving this intriguing puzzle. I like to occupy my mind and look for clues. I'm not always very good at it, but I like it!

007. On the subject of #001 and #003, I always match certain books and music to certain seasons. Fall is my favorite music season because I usually have a mix of melancholy indie folk (Rosie Thomas, William Fitzsimmons) and vintage-inspired swing (Robin McKelle, Imelda May). The books are almost always historical novels. Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is an example of perfectly fall-like books to me. (I've only read the first two in the series so Voyager is of course on my list for fall this year.) Anything by Jane Austen, the Brontë sisters, Elizabeth Gaskell, they're all my ideal reads for fall as well. My latest interest is the Tudor dynasty so I recently bought a few Tudor-related novels I'd love to read this year, too.

I'm passing the award on to:
A Spot of Whimsy
Provacative Couture
Sprinkled Dreams

Congrats, ladies! I wish I could give the award to everybody. There are so many beautiful blogs out there, both in content and design. Thank you all for making the internet a prettier place.


DOWNLOAD


I was trying to spiff up my layout a bit and wanted to make some of these icons - I'm not sure I love the way they turned out, but I thought I'd share them just in case anyone else likes them. There's 23 icons including most social networking sites as well as a few randoms such as "Follow" and "Contact". They're 220x59 .png files; you can see a few of them in my revamped sidebar. I'd be quite grateful if you wouldn't mind linking back to me somewhere on your blog (text link in the footer, icon in the sidebar, etc) if you use them. Enjoy!

I've also updated my blogroll and some of my favorite blogs in my sidebar, so be sure to check those out!


Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At September 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM , Blogger ching said...

congrats on the award.
i love your diverse taste of music! :)

 
At September 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have another thing in common - love of books! I love, love, love, going to the library and bookstore. The smell of the paper...hmm. As much as I love fashion and shopping for shoes (I have a fetish lol) I could spend twice the amount of time in a bookstore.

Congrats on the blog award, your blog is beautiful and always inspiring to me!! :)

 
At September 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM , Blogger thelayeredpancake said...

i love everything you just mentioned!

 
At September 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM , Blogger the chirpy bird said...

beautiful just beautiful! Love hearing all your comments
xoxo tash

 
At September 19, 2010 at 11:55 PM , Blogger Beautifully Invisible said...

Congrats on another much-deserved award! This was a really interesting read. Teh first thing I have to say to you is - OMG, Jamie Frasier! He is my dream man! LOL Love your taste in music and books. (I was an English major, so my taste in authors is ALL over the place, but I have a particular soft spot for historical novels and Shakespeare!)

Also - love Impressionism. I used to work for an Art Museum and one of my favorite spots was our Impressionist Gallery. I'd stare at OUR Water Lilies painting whenever I needed to reflect. If that didn't work - I'd move over to the Pollock!

P.S. If you like The Tudor dynasty, you have to check out Showtime's The Tudors - it isn't quite historically accurate, but its well-acted and the costumes and sets are divine!

Love this post. Congrats again!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 4:39 AM , Blogger Kirstin said...

Congrats lady! I loveeee the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen and Elizabeth Gaskell. So heavenly!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Absolutely Ladylike said...

Congrats on the award! And wow...your selection of quotes is outstanding...just love them.

Happy Monday.

Cheers: Evi

 
At September 20, 2010 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Jenmarie said...

Congrats on the award!

I love libraries too and loved having a library card when I was a kid. There's just so much to look at!

I've always wanted to have a notebook filled with my quotes, or even a document on the computer. It'd be so much easier to not forget about them.

The buttons you made are so cute! I love them!

Thanks for the award :) I have so much to post on my personal blog and there was so much going on last week I only posted once! Eep!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Anika http://www.byanika.com said...

many congrats! you are so beautiful, inside and out :) <3 thanks so much for adding me to your blogroll, really appreciate it :)

 
At September 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM , Blogger GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

Congrats...you DO have a beautiful blog, sugar!

♥ V
http://www.gritandglamour.com

 
At September 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM , Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I don't know how to sew either and I SO wish I did!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM , Blogger Morgan Jordan said...

Love the illustrations on your blog! Following you.

www.stylocrat.blogspot.com

 
At September 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the award! That's always fun!

Oh, and be sure to enter my giveaway!!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Blue said...

Congrats!!! And I LOVE Oscar Wilde!!!

 
At September 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM , Anonymous sweet said...

Congratulations in the award love...

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home