This Page

has been moved to new address

versatile bloggers and facts about me

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower: versatile bloggers and facts about me

21 August 2010

versatile bloggers and facts about me


Thanks so much to Porcelain Complexion for giving me the Versatile Blogger Award!

The rules are to list 7 facts about yourself, and also to pass the award on to 7 other bloggers.


Sadly, my little graphic is more interesting than any of these facts...

I've never been to Paris!
Actually, I've never left the States. I'm afraid of flying (and heights and spiders and...) so I'm obviously not much of a traveler. I wish I was! I have so many places I'd like to visit, most of which are in Europe.

I used to ride horses.
For a very long time I road horses and did occasional shows. For someone who was afraid of even the smallest dog as a little girl, I grew up to love horses and road some rather tall ones, too. I guess my fear of heights hadn't established itself at that point.

I'm a novelist...ish.
Last year I participated in National Novel Writing Month for the first time and won. (That's to say that I wrote 50,000+ words in 30 days.) I'm rather proud of myself for achieving it because I have so many stories and characters scrambling around in my head and I seem to lack the conviction or coordination to write them. NaNoWriMo showed me I can do it!

I wanted to be a marine biologist.
When I was very little and people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up (which happened surprisingly often, or maybe I just told people without their having asked) I always said, "a marine biologist." I haven't the slightest idea where that came from and needless to say it didn't actually go anywhere, but it's something that's always stayed stuck in my head.

I've always wanted to speak French and Italian.
I don't speak any languages other than English, which is terribly sad. I've tried learning French, but it just didn't stick. I listen to a lot of French music and watch a lot of French movies so so I know some things, but I'd love to be fluent. Italian...well, it was always a dream of mine to move to a little Italian town ala Under the Tuscan Sun so it'll be nice to be prepared, right?

I prefer to teach myself than to be taught.
About seven years ago I got interested in designing web sites and rather than enroll in some classes I took to the internet. I taught myself the basics of HTML rather quickly and I got a graphics program which I also taught myself to use. A lot of people have done this so it's not a very exciting or unique fact, but it's something I'm proud of. I think this is why I haven't learned a language, though. Teaching yourself something like that seems like something that takes real time and technique, whereas I'm more of a speed-Google learner.

I always make wishes on 11:11.
I do. And I don't know if this makes me a compulsive clock-watcher or if I'm just lucky, but I almost always look at the clock on exactly that time. It's uncanny.


See? I told you. Terribly boring. I'm sure there's something more interesting about me, but I haven't been able to think of it in the hours I've been working on this post. Ha! So now I'll pass the award on to seven versatile and lovely bloggers:

A Spot of Whimsy
Beautifully Invisible
Cafe Bellini
Rosa-Fiona Bettina
Some Kind of Style
Those Things They Said
Tous les Garcons et les Filles


I hope everyone's having a lovely weekend! Oh, and all the clipart from the graphic is once again by Pugly Pixel. The Paris and horse pictures were found on Google and WeHeartIt, respectively.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At August 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Jenmarie said...

Congrats on your award! :)

I've never been to Paris either. So don't worry. I've been to Arizona, Mexico and one other place... Wow, now that is sad. I can't remember where.

I'm scared of flying too. Did I tell you when I went on my honeymoon I was so nervous I called my doctor and she prescribed me anxiety pills. It definitely helped me to calm down, but on the way back home there was a minute of major turbulance and I thought I was going to die! I hated the feeling of it.

Aww, that is so cool you used to ride horses. I really like horses too and used to watch Black Beauty over and over again. My little sister LOVES horses so much and has taken riding lessons before.

I remember when you won that challenge at NaNoWriMo! You're amazing. I could never do that.

Aww, a Marine Biologist! So cute!

Speaking a different language would be cool, but I'm too lazy to learn one :P

I would say I like being taught and I like to teach myself too. I think it depends on what it is.

So, every day you make a wish at 11:11? I love that!

Such a nice post :) You're so not boring at all!

 
At August 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM , Blogger thelayeredpancake said...

i had a little too much sangria and i can't write a long message. this is the summary: Woman you are seriously cool!!
I have always wanted to be a novelist.

 
At August 22, 2010 at 2:59 AM , Blogger xxyy said...

congrats! You definitely deserve it.xx

 
At August 22, 2010 at 6:04 AM , Blogger Anika http://www.byanika.com said...

many congrats! <3

look forward to checking out the blogs you awarded :)

let`s meet at Place du Trocadero cherie§ :D

xx

 
At August 22, 2010 at 8:37 AM , Blogger minnja said...

great informations about you:)))

http://minnja.blogspot.com/

 
At August 22, 2010 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Hannah Sadie said...

Loved reading these!

Learning another language is wonderful, if you ever get the chance you should. I know enough french to carry on a conversation and read uncomplicated books - it's so nice because there are words in French to describe certain feelings/sounds/actions that don't exist in English. I've never been to Paris either but it would certainly be a beautiful place to practice speaking!

 
At August 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM , Blogger beautyparler said...

Nice post! I think its great that you taught yourself graphic design...About flying, well you don`t need to hear that I love & obviously am not scared of flying as I`m a flight attendant. Seriously, no need to be scared as you miss seeing the rest of our beautiful world:-)

 
At August 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM , Blogger LyddieGal said...

I think it would be such a worthwhile endeavor to learn a second language. Especially one that would be useful when traveling to Europe, which would be worth overcoming a fear of flying to, I believe.

Chic on the Cheap

 
At August 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award! I've been to Paris and it was as lovely as I'd hoped. But... that was a long time ago and I've since developed a fear of flying. : [

 
At August 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Julia said...

Loved your facts :)
Well done on your writing award! That's awesome, something to be very proud of xo

 
At August 23, 2010 at 12:05 AM , Blogger Melanie Patterson said...

Your facts are interesting! Especially the novelist bit. I've always had the intention to do NaNoWriMo, but have not EVER started even one word.

& lol about the marine biologist part. I actually used to want to be an architect, but washed those dreams away when I was in the first grade and wanted to be a veterinarian. Who knew that I'd end up in art school, anyway? Haha.

Congrats again on this award! :)

& AH! I almost pressed submit and saw my blog name, haha. THANK YOU! I'll do this ASAP! AHH, you're so amazing <3

 
At August 23, 2010 at 5:27 AM , Anonymous sweet said...

I am actually learning a lot about you...something different and the REAL you...it is nice to talk about your personal life in your blog...that makes you connect more to your readers...

love this dear
kisses
Sweet
PensandLens

 
At August 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM , Blogger diane @ a spot of whimsy said...

wow, i am honored, thanks so much for including me in your list of 7! i'll be sure to pass on to 7 other lovely bloggers this week. you're the best!

oh and ps i continue to be delighted/amazed by our similarities - i'm also terrified of flying (BUT a little anxiety med from my doc gets me through. you should look into it - every whimsical girl needs to visit paris at least once!)

 
At August 24, 2010 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Paulien said...

Then you really have to get over that fear of flying! Because Europe is really really beautiful - and I know what I'm talking about since I live in Belgium and I even can take a TRAIN to Londen and Paris (only 1,5 hours!) for example. But I've never been to the States so I can't compare it to Europe, unfortunately :-) Anyway, I think you really have to visit it sometime!

 
At August 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM , Blogger DailyDoseOfAloha said...

You are NOT boring at all.. I enjoyed learning more about you!

well first you should suck it up and take a dramamine or xannax to get you over that fear of flying! traveling is one of THE best things i've ever done for myself!

and i'm envious of the fact that you can self teach yourself.. i need a tutor, a teacher, and discipline!!

and i live in hawaii marine biology is something i grew up around so for a while i wanted to be one too!!

--Napua

 
At August 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Holly Knitlightly said...

Flying freaks me out too, but I would loooove to go to Europe! And I also make wishes at 11:11. :) I love that you're a writer.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Beautifully Invisible said...

Thank you for the award! Nice to know people think I am a verstaile blogger ;) Hope to have some facts up in a day or two.

I fell so far behind in reading blogs just by taking a few days off, I hope I eventually catch up!

I don't think this is boring at all. I am SURE you'll get to Paris sooner rather than later. I have always wanted to learn to ride horses. I love them as magnificent animals. Maybe one day.

I think that is SO exciting that you succeeded in writing a novel in 30 days. Next step: publication!

I may have gone through a marine biologist phase after going to Sea World. It was either that, or a diver.

Love all your responses.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home