This Page

has been moved to new address

cary and ingrid and weekend links

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower: cary and ingrid and weekend links

07 August 2010

cary and ingrid and weekend links


It's August, which means that Turner Classic Movies is hosting their annual Summer Under the Stars. Today happened to be Ingrid Bergman day, where they showed one of my favorite films ever, Notorious. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock in 1946, it pairs Ingrid with one of my favorite actors of the era, the unstoppably charismatic Cary Grant.


Aren't they gorgeous? I love their chemistry together. And Ingrid has the most spectacular costumes, hair and make-up. Look at her eyelashes!


The film represents Hitchcock when I loved him best: well before birds and psychos and back in the early days of his Stateside career. Films like Rebecca and Spellbound, the ones that had a sort of edge-of-your-seat thrill without necessarily aiming to "scare" you.


It's full of really fantastic lines like, "I guess I'm the girl nobody remembers." and, "Dry your eyes, baby; it's out of character." The sort of things that should only be said in black-and-white, preferably with a fedora and a cigarette present.

Shamelessly, I don't own the DVD but I did record it so a much-needed rewatch is on my agenda for the weekend, as well as lots of shopping and hanging out with my sis before she has to leave - and, of course, lots of blog-reading! Speaking of, here are a few posts/videos/articles I've been enjoying this week:

- Everything Fabulous: A stroll through the streets of town in Provence, France
- WWD: Matt Bomer Channels Old Hollywood Elegance
- Everything Fabulous: Always a Lady! Catherine McNeil for Vogue Australia
- November Grey: Smile
- Queendom of Fashion: Remembering Marilyn Monroe
- The Layered Pancake: My Glass Slippers
- YouTube: Janelle Monae performing "Tightrope" on So You Think You Can Dance
- discovering elegance: olivia palermo, a taste of fall
- Twitch Vintage: The Love Boat
- Beauty Parler: Funny Girl (Jennifer Aniston)
- Beautifully Invisible: Friend Friday: Blogger Privacy (and a question of Anonymity)

Happy Weekend!

Labels:

16 Comments:

At August 7, 2010 at 6:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love love it...all classics! especially Hitchcock, so many favorites, indeed! love

 
At August 7, 2010 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Kasia W. said...

those pics look great!
;)

http://www.mypointmystyle.blogspot.com/

 
At August 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM , Blogger angela said...

i'm totally clicking over to TCM. love it!!

 
At August 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Jenmarie said...

Hmm, I wonder if I have that channel. I TRULY adore the pictures you posted from the movie, especially the second one *melts*.

 
At August 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

terrific movie! honestly, today's films (very few at least) can compare.

 
At August 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM , Blogger the chirpy bird said...

sigh... I grew up watching old movies with my mum and Judy Garland was one of my absolute favs. These old movie stars are just so timeless. Such a beautiful era in film!
xo tash

 
At August 7, 2010 at 1:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Notorious! Cary Grant is one of my favorite classic actors! Enjoy your weekend! :)

 
At August 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM , Blogger thelayeredpancake said...

hmmm for some reason your posts are not appearing on my feed, plus i think i commented on this post...oh well, i love this movie, and i want to watch it. and ingrid bergman is breathtaking.
have a classy weekend!

 
At August 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM , Anonymous sweet said...

Classic...wow!!! I just remembered those movies with the glitchy video...and the sound as well...

hope to download classic movies...

and your previous post about the bomb Marilyn is just great!!!

take care love
always
Sweet
PensandLens

 
At August 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM , Blogger The Backseat Stylers said...

That blogger privacy post was really insightful!

 
At August 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM , Blogger rachael said...

OH Carey Grant... always a place in my heart for that one.

Great post!

 
At August 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM , Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I am such a huge Carey fan. I feel like Clooney has his charm!

 
At August 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM , Blogger Sybil said...

i have always admired the beauty of actors and actresses before.. i mean seriously.. everyone just looks so regal and stunning!

Animated Confessions

 
At August 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

"Dry your eyes, baby; it's out of character."

So good in a movie, but would only make me cry harder in real life. :)

 
At August 10, 2010 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Beautifully Invisible said...

I love this movie! It's been quite some time since I've watched it, however. I may have to netflix it.

Also - thanks for including my post in your weekly round-up!

 
At August 10, 2010 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Kendra said...

I LOVE NOTORIOUS!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home