This Page

has been moved to new address

happy birthday, miss austen

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower: happy birthday, miss austen

16 December 2010

happy birthday, miss austen



It is a truth universally acknowledged...
that a single woman in possession of a biting wit was born two hundred and thirty-five years ago today! Forgive my silliness; the world certainly needs no more parodies of the infamous sentence that welcomed us all into Jane Austen's heretofore most revered novel, Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't resist. Everyone is celebrating Jane's birthday - even Google who designed a special birthday logo for the day. It continues to amaze me that the strong, independent authoress who rocked the literary and feminist worlds experienced only modest recognition in her lifetime. Imagine what she'd say now if she could see how the world of Pride and Prejudice has seen life in so many mediums. (I imagine she'd be rather amused by the zombies. And vampires. And sea monsters. Oh my.) While she had many contemporaries who penned equally memorable literature, I consider Jane to be a master of social satire and human emotion. Her characters are among the most vivid and delightful I've come to know through the vast world of reading. Their interactions, quarrels and romances highlight the strange and beautiful journey we all embark on in life, making them eternally easy to relate to.



A watercolor of Jane by her sister, Cassandra.
"Here's harmony!" said she; "here’s repose! Here's what may leave all painting and all music behind, and what poetry only can attempt to describe! Here's what may tranquillise every care, and lift the heart to rapture! When I look out on such a night as this, I feel as if there could be neither wickedness nor sorrow in the world; and there certainly would be less of both if the sublimity of Nature were more attended to, and people were carried more out of themselves by contemplating such a scene."
- Mansfield Park, Chaprter XI


While my favorite of Austen's work is Persuasion as I've mentioned before, there's something in each novel that draws me into the Regency world with unhindered delight. I think Mansfield Park, Jane's third novel, is a vastly underrated piece of fiction. The heroine, Fanny Price, is very unlike the traditional heroine of feminist literature: she's shy, demure, poor and sensitive. Unlike other quiet heroines, such as Persuasion's Anne Elliot and Sense & Sensibility's Elinor Dashwood, Fanny lacks the gentle sparkle of pride and dignity that makes the others so substantial. But my favorite thing about Fanny is how human she is. I think it was brave of Jane to take an unconventional character and center an entire novel around her. This particular piece of dialogue from the novel struck me with just how passionate Fanny is, although she doesn't get many opportunities to show it throughout the story. On the list of Jane Austen characters I relate to the most, Fanny is quite near the top.


In the spirit of the day here's a great recipe for Jane Austen teapot cookies from Mischief Mari Cookies. My perfect day of celebrating Jane would involve making these little delights before settling in with a cup of tea and a novel or a film adaptation with a group of friends. How would you celebrate Jane?

Barnes & Noble is also celebrating by offering linda Berdoll's Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife free in e-book form! You can read it on your nook if you have one, or on one of their free nook applications. Enjoy!

Jane Austen watercolor from Wikipedia

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

At December 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM , Blogger thelayeredpancake said...

aaahhhh casee, i was thinking of doing a happy birthday post. the cookies are lovely.
have you seen/read jane austen's book club?

 
At December 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Jenmarie said...

Aww, I enjoyed reading through this so much! I love those cookies too and wish I had time to celebrate by watching Pride and Prejudice.

 
At December 16, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Kendra said...

omg, i sill have our gift from the jane austen centre, i just haven't had time to get to the post office to mail things recently. hopefully it will get there by christmas, though!

 
At December 17, 2010 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Sweet said...

awww...what a wonderful thing to celebrate....the cookies were such a great idea...

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens

 
At December 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

What a sweet and thoughtful post specially for Jane.
I feel sure she would be honoured.
Happy Christmas Casee Marie
Kat x

 
At December 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Kirstin said...

You are too cute, I am so glad that there is someone else who loves her as much as I do!

 
At December 20, 2010 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

lovely!!! ;D

HI!My name's Martina and I come from Italy...I love your blog and I''d like you visit my blog...if you want, follow me! I wait you and your tips! kiss kiss ^^

marti

 
At December 21, 2010 at 1:02 AM , Blogger Ima said...

Oh God that cookies look delicious. You must be a big fan of Jane Austen haha. Anyway, I like your blog and I've linked yours on mine :)

 
At December 21, 2010 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Chelsea said...

Ah Jane Austen is one of my favorite writers of all time!!
Very cool post.

 
At December 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM , Blogger itsLeslie said...

lovee the teaapot!
would you visit my blog??
http://fashionfridayspot.blogspot.com/


thank you xoxo

 
At December 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I love this post!! And I just saw the new preivew for the movie about her life, have you seen it yet!??
I am sure it is going to be awesome!!!
I hope you are having a fab holiday week!

XX

 
At December 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

i think jane austen was an amazing woman! and i love pride and prejudice! especially the movie with keira knightley.
have a loveyl week!
xoxo, pink lady <3

 
At December 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Fé... said...

I'm a big fan of Jane. I think her writing is amazing! And Google's designing a logo for her birthday? Gosh, I'm so left behind on this :p Silly me. And that cookie is fabulous, btw.

Have a wonderful week, Casee...

 
At December 23, 2010 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Donna A said...

Lovely post and always good to know that there are other Austen geeks out there to keep me company :-) xx

 
At December 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM , Blogger noone said...

holy that is one nice looking cookie! you did a job well done on that! and I used to read jane austin in highschool, her novels were pretty enjoyable :D have a merry christmas!

 
At December 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At December 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Anika http://www.byanika.com said...

Sweetheart, sorry for being a stranger of late! know that I think of you often :) wanted to wish you a very merry christmas, hope you are enjoying a wonderful time with your loved ones.

thank you for this post, I love it. I am reading persuation this year, and loving every word of it :) xx

 
At December 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Philippa said...

Lovely :)

 
At December 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM , Anonymous leyla said...

OMG, those cookies are amazing. I'm super impressed

 
At January 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button!
I'd certainly donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your
RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates
and will share this blog with my Facebook group. Talk soon!
my webpage: niece02susan.postbit.com

 
At January 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This design is steller! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
..HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than
that, how you presented it. Too cool!
Look at my homepage ; william hill no deposit bonus codes

 
At January 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.
My blog post ; party poker Bonus code september 2013

 
At January 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fastidious answers in return of this query with solid arguments and
explaining all about that.
Here is my homepage soup.io

 
At January 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your web site accidentally,
and I am shocked why this accident did not happened earlier!
I bookmarked it.
Feel free to visit my web blog ... party poker bonus 2013

 
At January 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers
Feel free to visit my homepage ... http://veinmom3.postbit.com

 
At January 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant thinking, article is fastidious, thats why i have read it fully
My site :: party poker Deposit Bonus code 2013

 
At January 7, 2013 at 5:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malaysia & Singapore & brunei finest online blogshop for wholesale & quantity
korean add-ons, earrings, earstuds, necklace, rings, trinket, hair & bangle accessories.
Offer 35 % wholesale rebate. Ship Worldwide
Feel free to surf my website :: entraînement cérébral

 
At January 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fastidious answer back in return of this question with genuine arguments and telling the whole
thing regarding that.
Check out my web blog poruchy erekce cukrovka

 
At January 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog
like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not
100% positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
My web page darky toothpaste video

 
At January 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks
Here is my web site ; jak na poruchy erekce

 
At January 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome article.
My web site darky z lasky pro ženu

 

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home