This Page

has been moved to new address

you pierce my soul...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower: you pierce my soul...

21 September 2010

you pierce my soul...




Politely drew back and stopped to give them way.


He has walked with me, sometimes, from one end of the sand to the other, without saying a word.


In spite of the formidable father and sister in the background.


Such a letter could not be read without putting Anne in a glow.


Illustrations by C.E. Brock for Jane Austen's Persuasion, 1909. See all 24 here, as well as Brock's illustrations for other Austen novels over here. Persuasion is certainly my favorite of Jane's works. It's one of the three (with Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park) that I read before seeing any adaptations. There's really such an enthralling sort of magic to them when you don't know the stories, and yet I can read them over again with the same excitement. I wish there was an illustration for Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne Elliot (I'm a hopeless romantic, that's one of my favorite parts in the book). If you've never read it - as I know a lot of people who've read Pride and Prejudice and not this gem - here's what you're missing:

I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.


Beautiful, isn't it? I very nearly have it memorized, silly me. Once a Janeite, always a Janeite!

Labels:

15 Comments:

At September 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM , Blogger magicwithgenny said...

This is my favorite favorite favorite Jane Austen ever. I love the idea of love knowing no time, of not knowing about aging. And of love having a second chance. This will always hold such a special place in my heart and I love the illustrations that you posted. Which adaptation is your favorite?

 
At September 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM , Blogger diane @ a spot of whimsy said...

i LOVE this quote, and those illustrations. wow. i have not read persuasion - but guess what just got added to my "to read" list?! ;)

 
At September 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Jenmarie said...

Oh my gosh, how romantic! I absolutely love it.

 
At September 21, 2010 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Kayla said...

This is great! Consider it bookmarked by me. I read my first Austen book just this year... shame on me I know but I'm obsessed now.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

 
At September 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM , Blogger this free bird said...

"He has walked with me, sometimes, from one end of the sand to the other, without saying a word." Magic.

I was an English Major in University and was completely swept away!

xoxo,
Carrie

 
At September 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Beautifully Invisible said...

OK, I was an English major and I never read this one. Love Austin's work though - I'll add it to my list of must-reads. Thanks for the post!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

*swooon* beautiful. gosh i love jane.

 
At September 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Taryn said...

love these old fashioned illustrations! this book is on my soon to read list

 
At September 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM , Blogger thelayeredpancake said...

love love LOVE this post!! i read persuasion and this letter was my favorite part. I think she wrote Persuasion when she was quite old, I wonder if this book reflects her life and whether she wished she had said yes to some suitor. I think she was briefly engaged to someone...

 
At September 21, 2010 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Julia said...

These are gorgeous illustrations and you're right that passage is beautiful

 
At September 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM , Blogger smatterings said...

nothing better than jane austen - in my mind.

 
At September 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, yeah, I have to go read Persuasion now. I'm one of those people who has read P&P and Emma, but now Persuasion. :( But the excerpt you put is so romantic!!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM , Blogger Sara Tornow said...

We're having a giveaway this week if you'd like to check it out!

http://tweetnovember.blogspot.com/2010/09/giveaway-sweet-november-print.html

 
At September 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Bere Parra said...

The illustrations are so lovely! I really liked it when there were more novels which came with those. Had the fortune of stumbling upon one or two when I was little. As for the letter, OH MY WORD, that letter!! One of the most beautiful pieces of writing, without question, even setting aside the 'romance' factor. Thanks for the delightful post Casee, as always! XX B.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 7:28 AM , Blogger Natasha Gardos said...

these are wondeful

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home