This Page

has been moved to new address

we'll have to smoke the dress

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower: we'll have to smoke the dress

30 September 2010

we'll have to smoke the dress

Here are a few Mad Men-related books that will be coming out soon. I'm absolutely ready to dive into both of them.


The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men by Janie Bryan
(Release date: November 4th)

From Joanie's Marilyn Monroe-esque pencil skirts to Betty's classic Grace Kelly cupcake dresses, the clothes worn by the characters of the phenomenal Mad Men have captivated fans everywhere. Now, women are trading in their khakis for couture and their pumas for pumps. Finally, it's hip to dress well again. Emmy-Award winning costume designer Janie Bryant offers readers a peek into the dressing room of Mad Men, revealing the design process behind the various characters' looks and showing every woman how to find her own leading lady style--whether it's vintage, modern, or bohemian.


Janie Bryant is on a roll with her Mad Men-esque line on QVC and now this book, which I'm extremely excited about. Of course I'm a big fan of the costumes on Mad Men and the overall style of the late-'50s, early '60s. I can't wait to see the insights Janie has to offer to all of us who secretly (or not-so-secretly) wished we lived in the past.




Mad Men: The Illustrated World by Dyna Moe
(Release date: October 6)

By turns fun, sophisticated, and celebratory, this is an eye-popping and inventive companion to the hit show Mad Men, as well as a salute to the era of cocktails and Camelot. Inspired by the artistic styles that defined 1960s advertising, Dyna Moe creates a candy-colored record of the time, exploring such topics as:

• The office culture, including secretary etiquette and hangover workarounds
• The cocktail craze, with Sally Draper's cocktail menu
• Pastimes and fads, such as Pete and Trudy's dancing lessons and Bert Cooper's art
• '60s icons from Jackie to Marilyn
• Boardroom and bedroom shenanigans
• The burgeoning suburban lifestyle
• Fabulous fashion, including hairstyle how-tos and bonus paper dolls of Joan


Dyna Moe is also the illustrator behind the Mad Men Yourself game on AMC's Web site. She's also got an entire set on her Flickr dedicated to her Mad Men illustrations. I think my favorite is #3.3 Showboatin' with Pete and Trudy's fabulous dancing. I'm so excited to see what this book is like.

Both are available for pre-order on Amazon - and Dyna Moe's book is only $10!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At September 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM , Blogger diane @ a spot of whimsy said...

well, i am such a sucker. i was planning on making an amazon purchase this weekend and i totally just added mad men: the illustrated world to my cart! thanks for letting me know about it, i love dyna moe's illustrations of the show! (in fact her betty is in my header!!)

 
At September 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Kayla said...

I haven't started to watch Mad Men yet.. i know I know don't scold me. But I am obsessed with looking up their fashions and looks constantly. I think I'd love to see them illustrated. Thanks for sharing!

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

 
At September 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM , Blogger the chirpy bird said...

Just in time for the holidays? Done and Done-r!
xo tash

 
At September 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM , Blogger ching said...

that is gonna be an amazing source of ideas!

 
At October 1, 2010 at 5:35 AM , Blogger xxyy said...

You seem to be a very good reader. I`m searching to start a new book now but I don`t know what to get, which are your favourites ?xx

 
At October 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM , Anonymous sweet said...

I have never seen mad men....but will be checking your posts...I still have loads of movies and series to watch over my semestral break...glad to be back checking your site love

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens

 
At October 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Jenmarie said...

I'm actually totally interested in the first book. It sounds so fantastic!

 
At October 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Emma said...

Oooh, interesting - still not seen Mad Men, but am very intrigued! x

 
At October 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Couture Carrie said...

I want all of these!!

xoxox,
CC

 
At October 1, 2010 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Ashleigh said...

oooh what a treat these would be!They would also make a great gift for a super fan :) I love the cover of The Fashion File - silhouettes are so chic! Happy Weekend Deary!

 
At October 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Britta Kirk said...

thats so awesome! The costumes on this show are too beautiful for words! I love that it seriously seems like a jump in the past, so a book like this is lovely!

 
At October 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Beautifully Invisible said...

Thanks for this - I had heard about Janie's book, but not Dyna Moe's. off to preorder now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home